JEFFREY J. GINDIN, Q.C.
Criminal Defence Lawyer
Since 1971, Jeffrey J. Gindin, Q.C. has been practicing law as a criminal defence lawyer. He has appeared in several courts throughout Canada, including Ontario, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and British Columbia, as well as the Supreme Court of Canada.
Mr. Gindin has had the opportunity to represent clients that had complex, precedent-setting, and high-profile cases. He is a highly sought after speaker for a variety of functions and audiences, including the Law Society of Manitoba, police graduates, the University of Manitoba Law School.
Mr. Gindin is highly regarded as one of the leading criminal defence lawyers in Manitoba and has handled cases throughout Canada.
In addition to representing clients facing criminal charges, Mr. Gindin does teach criminal law courses at the University of Manitoba Law School. He has been teaching law students since 1978.
Bachelor of Laws (LLB), University of Manitoba, 1970
- Dean’s Honour List
- Constitutional Law Prize
Bachelor of Arts (BA), University of Manitoba, 1967
- 1995–present | Founding partner, GINDIN SEGAL Law
- 1990–1995 | Senior Partner, Gindin Smith Pearlman
- 1978–1990 | Senior Partner, Gindin Soronow and Company
- 1974–1978 | Partner, Walsh Micay and Company
- 1971–1974 | Associate, Walsh Micay and Company
Selected Professional Highlights
- Awarded the honorary title of Queens Council (Q.C.) in 2019 by demonstrating outstanding practice, integrity, leadership, and contributions to excellence in the profession
- Currently teaches a course on Preventing Wrongful Convictions at The University of Manitoba Law School.
- Sessional Lecturer (Advocacy; Clinical Criminal Law; Criminal Procedure; and Charter Issues in Criminal Law) at The University of Manitoba Law School
- Counsel to Parties, Phoenix Sinclair Commission of Inquiry
- “Expansion of Police Powers in the Wake of September 11th,” Presenter, Manitoba Bar Association
- “Ethical Dilemmas for Criminal Lawyers,” Presenter, Law Society of Manitoba
- Annual Presenter, “The Techniques of Persuasion,” University of Manitoba Department of Psychology
- Annual Presenter, “Role of the Defence,” Winnipeg Police Academy
- Regular participant in continuing legal education programs
- Canadian Council of Criminal Defence Lawyers (Former Executive Member)
- Manitoba Defence Lawyers Association (Former President, Vice-President, Executive Member)
- International Society of Barristers (Fellow)
- Litigation Counsel of America (Fellow)
- Bar Association
Outside of Law
When Jeffrey is not representing clients or educating students, he enjoys working out regularly. He is an avid sports enthusiast and plays in the Manitoba Bar Association Baseball League. As time permits, he also likes to read and travel.